Thursday, November 3, 2011

Not Looking Any Better

Currently watching Captain America: the First Avenger on DVD (from Netflix).

I am cancelling my Netflix account tonight. Just don't use it enough to make it worthwhile.

Often as I have gotten older, I thought of myself (with some solid looking in the mirror) as a rugged older Sean Connery or - at my worst - maybe an Ernest Hemingway... but with more hair (in both cases). I expressed this out loud once. My girlfriend laughed so hard she almost peed herself.


So, instead, I am trying to own up that I might just look like a fat junkie these days. So you KNOW that's not good. 

"What?" you say. "Fat?! Really...?"

Look - whenever you meet someone new, don't you compare them to someone famous, or recognizable to you? Well, they are doing the same thing to you. Sometimes they TELL you who they're thinking of and comparing you, too. I had high hopes of who I might be being compared with... But lately all I have been hearing is that I look like someone specific:


This guy.


Not the newer, slimmed down Meat Loaf who often plays a movie villain, but the 70s era "Bat Out of Hell" singer. At least his voice was amazing. I cannot say the same for myself.

The other problem is how I have been dressing whenever I am not on stage. Here's some examples:

Yesterday morning I didn't put in my contacts - so I was wearing my Versace glasses...

This bears some explanation. I'm not some damn hipster or anything like that, wearing awful glasses, a horrible beard and all kinds of shyte (What? You think hipsters are cool!? Some time in Silver Lake trying to get a decent drink at a bar should fix that for you.). I have always liked wire-framed glasses, and they look good on me, but they're hard to wear on my scoot. I like the glasses worn by my friend Jonny, who works for Motor Trend Magazine -- but I don't know if I can pull the look off. He sure looks good, though.

On easy street... er, pier.

It just boiled down to: when I needed new glasses, the Versace ones were the only ones in the store that looked good on me. That's what I get for glasses shopping at the Glendale Galleria.

Anyway - so yesterday I go to take the kids to school... I put on my glasses, didn't have time to brush out my hair (luckily still kind of braided from the day before) or brush my teeth, wore some Old Navy jeans and an over-sized light blue  Full Throttle Saloon shirt (both of which I slept in the previous two nights) - my boxers (also slept in) is black with orange bats - and a pair of black Crocs. Yeah, you heard me. I threw on a FreakShow Deluxe sweatshirt over this ensemble.

Winning.

So after dropping them both off I went ahead and finally got a shower, and changed my clothes. This time into:

An over-sized Venice Beach Freakshow t-shirt, an old pair of Aeropostale sweat pants (with a hole where the dog bit me once), red plaid boxers and the Crocs once again. Still wearing my glasses, but this time throwing a skeleton hoodie over the top of everything.

I wore THAT outfit until after taking the kids to school today - where I switched (after yet another shower) to some olive green BDU pants, a grey old school Mickey Mouse t-shirt, and a pair of black utility Sketcher's shoes. Skeleton hoodie and glasses still... not up to putting in my contacts. The cold, wet weather just doesn't call for it.

Even when I am "dressed," I just don't know... Maybe I need that show where those two people go through your wardrobe and help you choose a style. OR just stay in my show stuff all the time!
That's style, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment